Homework Set 9.To be handed in Tuesday, December 1st.
Homework Set 8.To be handed in Tuesday, Nov 24th.
Homework Set 7.To be handed in Friday, Nov 13th.
Homework Set 6.To be handed in Friday, Nov 6th.
In addition: FYI
Date & place: Tuesday, October 20th, 8-10 am in 105
Special office hours, review session: Monday, Oct 19th, Room 104, 8:30-10am
Answers: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4, page 5
Summary of new material from this week, for the midterm:
Homework Set 5.To be handed in Friday, Oct 16th.
Homework Set 4.To be handed in Friday, Oct 9th.
interior, closure, boundary, the Hausdorff property
Homework Set 3.To be handed in Friday, Oct 2nd.
Homework Set 2.To be handed in Friday, Sept 25th.
- Stereographic projection - animation
- Stereographic projection from a a complex analysis textbook (since they place the unit sphere differently in the coordinate system as we did in class, the formulae are different a bit)
- The Klein Bottle (and Mobius strip) (animation)
- If you go to Prague, check out this a Mobius mural
- M.C. Escher's famous Mobius strip
Homework Set 1.To be handed in Friday, Sept 18th.
- R. Messer at al: Topology Now!
- Munkres: Topology
- John Stillwell: Geometry of Surfaces
William Fulton: Algebraic Topology: A First Course
- Alan Hatcher: Algebraic Topology free of charge!
- Jeffrey R. Weeks: The Shape of Space: How to Visualize Surfaces and Three-Dimensional Manifolds
The Shape of the Universe: Ten Possibilities Scientific American article
and more seriously
- The class meets Tuesdays and Fridays 8:30-10am in Room 105.
- My (new) office hours are: Thursdays, 3-4pm and by appointment
- GRADING: Homework is posted every Friday and is due the next Friday.
- You can get 100 pts on Homework, 100 pts on the Midterm and 100 pts on the Final. That is 300 points altogether. The class is curved with the median placed at around B+.
Special dates this semester:
- There will be NO class
Oct 23rd (National Holiday) and
Nov 27th (Friday following Thanksgiving): this class is made-up Nov 23rd Monday, 8:30-10am.