Budapest Semesters in Mathematics
Hungary has a long tradition of excellence in mathematics education. However, because of the language barrier, students have not been able to take advantage of the skill and dedication of the mathematics faculties of Hungarian universities.
Initiated by Paul Erdős, László Babai, László Lovász, and [Vera T. Sos], the program Budapest Semesters in Mathematics provides a unique opportunity for North American undergraduates. Through this program, mathematics and computer science majors in their junior/senior years may spend one or two semesters in Budapest and study under the tutelage of eminent Hungarian scholar-teachers. The instructors of Budapest Semesters in Mathematics are members of Eotvos University and the Mathematical Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the two institutions known for having educated more than half of Hungary's highly acclaimed mathematicians. Most instructors have had teaching experience in North America and are familiar with the cultural differences.
- All courses are taught in English.
- Classes are small.
- Credits are transferable to North American colleges and universities.
- The school is near the center of historic Budapest.
- Living costs are modest.
- Semesters start in the first week of September and February. An optional intensive language course is offered about two weeks before regular classes begin. Early applications are encouraged. Qualified applicants will be accepted to participate in the program on a rolling basis once their applications are complete.
About the program
- History of the program
- Why Study math in Hungary
- What students say about the program
- Course Offerings & Registration
- Course Credits
- The Hungarian Language program
- Housing Information